It’s that time of year again when we can anticipate and prepare for, fireworks during the winter months, not only on bonfire night. It may be the first time you’ll be experiencing how this affects a new pug in your home.
In advance, you may consider:
- Desensitising your pets to noise: Playing fireworks noises quietly using sound CDs, while rewarding calm behaviour, can help them become accustomed to the noise. Play them in the run up to firework season, to help them see they need not be afraid.
- Anxiety relief products: Anxiety relieving products containing pheromones are an effective way to help your pet stay calm, also comforting jackets are like a big hug! There are so many products around so do research them.
- Walk them before it’s dark.
- Watch out for spent fireworks when walking your dogs. Diwali celebrations start before bonfire night.
- Feed your dogs before fireworks are expected to begin, as they may be too stressed to eat.
- Make sure your house or garden is escape-proof, as they can bolt or go missing. (Check their microchip registration is up-to-date!)
- Keep windows and curtains closed, the lights on and turn the TV on to play music to help drown out the noise.
- Create a safe, cosy place for your dog to settle before it gets dark. Dogs enjoy cosy dens.
- Keep them entertained to take their mind off the noise.
- Comfort and reassure them.